Saturday, April 19, 2008

Tools you shouldn't miss in this digital era !


To be frank, I am not a very well-organized person. At least not in papers. The digital evolution has saved me from all hassles and probably give me a way to live. People say I am 'hi-tech" -- I will take it as a praise if it isn't from those who don't even know what Google is. Yes, my interests and habits are alienated from my background but I don't think technology or new adventures in the net only belong to the youth group. There are certain useful tools that can make our work more efficient and effective.


Students of my classes in this term all aware that I am a great fan of Google, yes, you bet I am. The people out there are just so great to be real. The things they did just save you enormous amount of time in work. If you work in the office, you probably know what I mean.


The thing I like most is the Google Calendar, in particular when you have more than 20 invitations to be sent out. Tracking responses of invitations are not easy. Not to mention about people's wills to see who else are coming (and probably who are not; sorry to say this but I do think this matters more to certain Chinese, myself included). Ok, how to use a Google Calendar? Simply by typing the details of the function in the Google Calendar and then click share, emails will be sent out to those you invited. After that, you can rest your legs on the wheel chair, wait and see who are coming, who are not and who haven't replied -- on-line REAL TIME ! This not only helps you to manage the invitations but also let others reply based on the feedback of those they concern. (If you encounter people raise this question after you ask them whether they join the function or not -- "Is xxx coming?" or "Who is coming?", you probably know how POWERFUL this function is.) Isn't it wonderful ? I had been using this for quite a while. Here's my little obstacle : people still send me personal "EMAIL" instead of clicking the reply embedded in the email. I manage to think of two reasons : first, they would only like me, personally, to know whether they are coming or not. OR they simply not aware that the reply could be in one click and that's why they sent email as the old way. Yes, right man. Changes take times. Try it out and you probably know what I mean.


Google App Training (Google Calendar) http://services.google.com/apps/resources/overviews_breeze/Calendar/index.html
How to use Google Calendar from CNET (Video) http://reviews.cnet.com/Master_Google_Calendar/4660-10165_7-6530989.html

The second thing is about the Google Documents. At certain point, I am tired of sending out drafts for people to review and then tons of email were found in the mailbox with attachment of the "updated version". It just waste of time simply trying to match up with the amendments did by various people. Why don't we consider about putting it to the Google Doc and then sent out an email for collaborators so that we all know that the documents have been amended by who and when?

Click out this video, you will admire not only the function of Google Doc but also people's creativity and ability to present simple things in such a great way :

Google Docs Community :
http://www.youtube.com/user/GoogleDocsCommunity





I had been rest in bed and home for most of time in the previous few days -- after realizing what I did this whole morning, I thought I have recovered : at least I finally manage to do the things I like. The illness has once dragged me down to the point that I couldn't even move ! Oh god. I am back.


No comments: