Friday, May 09, 2008

It matters more how you depart

(see the below note about the photo)

“This is my last presentation in the Associate Degree Programme.” Daniel, Joseph and Kasa told me after the Q&A section on a Friday afternoon of the last teaching week.

Ever since then, I couldn’t stop thinking about them.

I taught Daniel and Joseph three years ago when they first entered the Community College in pursuing their Pre-Associate Degrees. That was right after the Waterloo battle in the HKCEE in 2005. It never occur to me until this very last point that Daniel & Joseph were my students in their first term in the College as Pre-AD students and now in their last terms as the graduating Associate degree students. Throughout marking their last project presentation in the AD Programme, lots of memories flashed in. How did they manage the previous 1000+ days at a Community College craving for a higher qualification?

With different voices in the general public about the academic framework of the Associate Degree, I have a strong sense that people somehow neglected the most important element in eduction throughout the discussion -- the developmental process. Fortunate to be a witness of the process, I couldn't help myself but pleased to see how this group of youth develop and enrich, like Daniel, Joseph and the others did. Why we always have to evaluate a group of adolescents by mere figures? Do we really understand the ‘quality’ of the Associate Degree students or even graduates?”

Everybody is talking about articulation rate. Everybody is talking about whether one gets into an undergraduate degree programme. The GPAs. The tuition fees. In short, all numbers and figures. As Lecturer as well as Administrator of Associate Degree Programme, I have no difficulties in understanding the cruel reality. However, can our general public gives more room for love and care about the developmental process of these groups of students? Can we treasures more and show supports to their significant changes in the value-added process?

Instead of acting as a critic for the education policy, I would rather spend times in the more challenging and rewarding work for real education.

I decided to write about their stories.

Yes, a story that worth knowing and recognizing. A story that about life and about growth.

Not educated as a linguistic or trained as a journalist, these stories may not be written in a professional manner. However, I remember reading a writer encouraged readers in her book– just write with your heart, something from within, something that has driven you and enlighten you. Just write. Yes, this is what I am going to do. Like many of my students who adventure in their AD studies, I am pioneering in the realm of writing. Yes, I may fail, I may not be successful and I may not receive any recognition from whatever areas the earthly people treasure. It still worth trying, at least for this courageous group of students of mine.

“No matter what happen (either you get into the undergraduate programme or not), remember I told you this here, YOU ARE WORTHY!” I told my student Kaman, also a graduating AD student who somehow came in my office for a lunch invitation while I was writing this piece of work. I remember her face when she left and closed the door of my office -- the red and watery eyes.

They don’t need mere teaching but authentic love and care.

“It makes little difference whether you enter as a mediocre student or one who has achieved honors. It matters more how you depart.” Mark Johnson, a former AD graduate and now motivational speaker said.

Yes, it all matters how you depart.


*About the Photo:

I found that I didn't take photo with Daniel, Joseph and Kasa on their last presentation. The photo above was taken at one of the last AD classes in Dec 2005. Some of them are now in their Second year of the undergraduate programme and that's why I still see them on campus. Would love to know how the others are doing. If you somehow in the photo and saw this post, write me email and let me know your update. (Lu.jenLee@gmail.com)

References :

About Mark Johnson : http://www.markthespark.com/community.html






No comments: