Monday, September 25, 2006

1825 days and it's beginning – a life sharing journey


How far can one walk in 1825 days? I do not have a concrete idea but for sure it is way beyond one can imagine.

Honoured to be invited for a short sharing at the Orientation Ceremony of L.I.F.E, an extended arm of the University, for 600+ Project Yijin and Foundation Diploma students at the University Auditorium on Sat, 23 Sept 2006 morning.

While my schedule was packed with classes and all different kinds of evening activities over the previous 5 days, how I hope to have a short break on Saturday morning. Not until the time when I prepared the powerpoint slides for the presentation did I realize it was instead a blessing for me. If it were not this ceremony, I wouldn't sit down and reflect upon how I started the teaching profession.

In 2000, upon an invitation of one of my previous Professors, I was teaching the first evening cohort of Springboard Programme (the then Project Yijin) on campus. Apart from the few tutorials I had helped out of for busy Professor, this is my first teaching experience in classroom on campus. People nicely praised me for my innate of teaching. I suppose the passion on people’s life is one of the biggest reasons behind. That first taste of teaching turned my life upside down: I witnessed those students at the edge returned to regular school lives. They talked and shared with me their experiences and why they were being marginalized by the mainstream education system. A young girl, I still remember her at my first day of teaching, was using her coarse language to communicate with the staff member. Putting her hands at the back pockets of the jean and used her posture to tell you : What do you want from me? Don't you ever try to tell me to keep quiet and study ! At the last class, I saw her came up with her assignment, built a more healthy self-concept and finished the course with reflection that helped her to think about life. This was truly rewarding moment. When you are so honoured to be involved to witnessed such process, you would not agree with me more. Journey of this kind is fulfilling. You were walking along with a group of people from 17 to 30s. Some came with a reason where most of the others had nothing to do or to go. There was another girl who was labeled as ‘different’ and thereafter isolated by the majority of students. She was then found sitting in the rear stairs one night – student told me and that was how I found her. We talked for a couple of hours until she has missed her last bus to Tin Shiu Wai. I asked her to take a taxi and she told me she didn't have enough money. How insensitive of me! Giving her two notes, I hoped she would take a taxi home: “Your safety is very important” I told her. She said she might not able to return the money in a short period of time and then she explained her family economic situation with water filled her eyes. One day later, I received a thank you letter with the money. I can't remember the details now but no doubt that I was moved. Sadly, she withdrew from the Programme one term later and I never see her again. By reminiscing this memory now, how I hope to see her again.

That's the beginning of the 1825 days. Probably the beginning of why I could have so many stories to share with students in classes. Ever since the one year experience of teaching evening classes, thoughts lingered. It's like your day time job was no longer be the same. Actually, even I am not the same. I asked myself why I still worked for my day time job as an Executive handling paper works everyday. What on earth made me to stay on? Of course, who would give up a job with 50% pay raise in two years, have spacious office and clerical assistance? This is unbeatable deal for young College graduate! I thought a lot during that summer while I was in study tour in San Francisco. One month after I came back to Hong Kong, I submitted a resignation letter. From the rational point of view, this was obviously not a wise choice – giving up a job with attractive remuneration and even a substantial amount of gratuity and then moved on to teaching – not to mention that it was just part-time basis for the first year. No matter what, that's my choice and this is how I started working with L.I.F.E.

The first few years of teaching were far beyond physical comfort. Carrying notes and textbooks to different teaching centres to teach (Wan Chai, Tsim Sha Tsui, Casueway Bay and Tuen Mun) was not fun. I then reached the situation that just one stable office would be satisfying. I still remember the time that I have to teach in TST in the morning while having my lunch in the bus running back to Tuen Mun for afternoon class. How grateful I met Jesus in 2003 which gave me strength to go through those days.

Five years or 1825 days have gone. My salary was still less than the figure that I remunerated in 2000 (for my previous administrative post in the University) even after earning a promotion this year. However, this doesn't strive to be important. There are far more things I got in return : I once had walked with hundreds of students at certain points of their lives and this is priceless. Like my mission statement says:

“My mission of life is not focus on being praised by my achievement but seeing the lost returning to life with dignity and self-respect.”

Other than Mr Lau, Mr Tam and Prof Chan I was deeply indebted of, I thank Lord for keep seeking me for decades. Similar to most of my students, I was once lost and then be found. Therefore, may all the praises and recognition that I got be lifted up to him – for he is our refugee and our Lord.

“And if I have a prophet's power, and have knowledge of all secret things; and if I have all faith, by which mountains may be moved from their place, but have not love, I am nothing.” (Bible; 1 Corinthians; 13:2)

No comments: